Thursday 20 November 2014

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #10


Hey everyone!
I hope your week is going well, mine is going fast! I have had three presentations and a couple assignments due, but all have been successful :)

Animoto. (CC) 2014
This week, we focused on tools that allowed us to create an online environment. In particular, I explored Animoto and Photopeach. When I first think of slide shows, I think of a presentation that you do in front of the class and the instructor or facilitator presents the information. Well, I now see that it is much more then that! While discovering the new web 2.0 slide show tools, I realized that I could use the slide shows to tell a story, to use videoagraphy to express an issue, and I DO NOT have to just use plain writing. From an educational stand point, this fuels the creativity of the 21st century student. I also noticed that, especially on Animoto, that it limited how much text you were allowed to put per slide. This really teaches students how to be concise about information and how to keep it simple. Instead of righting every major concept of a topic, this allows students to focus on what is really important and essential to their presentation. I know from past personal experience, I have always filled my slides full of information, and not realizing that it is information overload for my audience.

PhotoPeach. (CC) 2014
The use of these slide show tools have shown me that there is so much potential to learn from the web. These tools can be shared on any social media site. If there is something important or of interest that you would like your PLN to know about, then you can simply share your slideshow. Not only does this allow you to share your knowledge with the world, but it also allows others to share their knowledge with you! This can allow for discovery of new topics and knowledge.

This web 2.0 tool could definitely be added to my PLE. In a way I think that the slideshow tools (Animoto and Photopeach) are very similar to Google slides, however, you are able to share to social media without a special sharing link. I would add this tool to my PLE in the category of 'Collaborating and socializing' and within the sub category 'Video communication/socialization.' I think that adding this category to my PLE will help me broaden my horizons from the previous video communication tools (Skype, Facetime and Youtube). This tool will allow me to communicate with the world around me, with the use of a created video, and not an 'in the moment' video. This allows for so much potential and freedom. I also considered placing the web 2.0 tool under synthesizing and creating, because technically, it is a tool of synthesizing and creating. However, I think it fits best under the previous heading, because through video communication I can learn from collaborating ideas of my PLN. 

This weeks Feedly feed of Interest: This weeks feed relates to this weeks topic on slide shows. It is on how to teach your students to deliver good presentations.
http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.ca/2014/11/stop-letting-your-students-do-bad.html

Thanks for reading!
Missemilyp

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    Great weekly post! I completely agree, as students we have been brainwashed to see and think of presentations in a specific way (I personally do NOT get excited!!) Anyways, I found myself actually excluding Animoto from my PLE only because I had found other 2.0 tools that I prefer - whether or not this is because I have more experience with those tools OR because Animoto was a little confusing I'm not sure.

    Great post, We're almost finished!
    ColleenA

    ReplyDelete