Monday 24 November 2014

Last but not Least...

Hey everyone,
So here I am, my last blog of the semester. The time has gone way to fast to what I prefer, but I am very excited for Christmas break to start in just 3 weeks!!

Deakin University. (CC) 2014
This week, I have decided to talk about the last chapter in our text, 'The Twenty-First Century Teacher.' From this course I have learned a lot, but I found this chapter to be a great finally, so to speak, on what I can do to as a future teacher to make positive changes in the education system.

I really enjoyed how the text stressed about the importance of being a 'reflective practitioner.'  In teaching, you must always be looking to improve your teaching skills. As stated by the text "Reflection is an important part of the learning cycle and helps us move forward to more effective ways of doing things in changing times (pg. 149)." We cannot move forward in the education system without reflecting on our past, present and future teaching. The more reflective we become, the more professional growth we develop. I think that this is an important process in order to push forward in education so that we can meet the needs of the 21st century student.

In addition to being a reflective practitioner, I think the topic of the semester has been "how to use technology to meet the needs of the 21st Century student."  In being a reflective practitioner, I must reflect upon the use of technology in the education setting to meet the needs of what the text calls the 'digital natives.' Technology is a new way of thinking and this is how 21st century students brains are now learning and developing. However, as important as introducing technology in the class room is, the text makes a good point in saying that technology is useful only when it enhances learning (pg. 156). We as teachers need to act as facilitators and allow students to explore the unknown and learn how to use the web 2.0. This is a new part of learning and if teachers teach in traditional methods, technology will become a burden and  children will no longer enjoy discovering this new world. Students need to learn with a hands on approach on how to use technology in an education setting so that they can be prepared for what is next to come in the digital age.

CMC. (CC) 2014
I have learned so much this semester about the web 2.0 that I have been mind blown! I must have learned about 30 new tools that I can use on the web to make my life easier and organized. For example I learned about curator tools such as Evernote and Diigo, where I can literally bookmark and tag any website, photo, or video and save it to my account forever, and refer to it from any browser whenever I need access to what I saved. I also learned about a tool called Popplet, where I can create online brainstorming maps and not have to go through the hassle of drawing a map with a pencil and paper. I also discover google docs. This is by far the best tool out there. You can do anything with google docs, and all of it is accessible whether you make it private or shared with a class or group mates. It is fantastic on a classroom setting, and students can access any material posted not only in class but online at home or at lunch in the library. As a student who went to high school and elementary school without the use of google docs, Evernote, Diigo, Pooplet and many more digital tools I see much potential in my future classroom. 

SignUpGenius. (CC) 2014
I would like to finish off my blog with a final word about this course, EDUC 4P19. It began as a struggle as I was generally confused about what I had to do in the course and how I was to keep organized and on task. I felt like everytime I thought I was on track, something chagned and I was completely off task. All I know is a traditional classroom, where the teachers hands out a fixed syllabus and tells me what I have to do and when I have to do it by. So, entering this course I became hesitant and a little frightened of what the semester had in store for me. However, I have to say, it was really nice not having to worry about my grades for once in my life. I felt that the feedback I got was positive and useful in improving my skills in the class.  I think there is still so much more for me to learn about the 21st century student and this course has given me that first step forward into a new light. As I grow to becoming a teacher, I am becoming less critical of what I am being taught, and becoming more critical of what positive values I can take from what I learn and implement them in the classroom. Know that I have seen potential in the classroom and how I can make a difference, I cannot wait to start teaching!


Thanks for reading!
Missemilyp
 
Resources

 Drake, S., Reid, J., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Toward a New story of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment. In Interweaving curriculum and classroom assessment: Engaging the 21st-century learner. Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford Univrsity press.

No comments:

Post a Comment