Sunday 28 September 2014

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #3

well,
I have learned one thing this week, technology can sometimes be a little annoying. Do not get me wrong, it is a magical thing, however, it has been my mortal enemy this week. Not only has it taken me all week to figure out how Feedly works, but I still do not know how it works...... it has been a struggle. There has been some success though! I have figured out how to add websites/blogs/articles etc.. on to my Feedly, but I cannot figure out how to sync Feedly with my browser, sooooo if anyone knows how please feel free to help a sister out! :) I have tried some trouble shooting of my own. I was given an article on how to add Feedly to my browser (which I have attached), but I could not follow it/ understand it. I have learned however, from this experience that I am patient and open minded to trying new things. It is part of growing into a world that is technology driven and there is no point in getting mad over it because it will be there forever. I just keep taking deep breaths and try everything I can to get it to work. For example, I am making use of my web 2.0  PLN with my blog and maybe one of my peers can help me out ! :)  Needless to say, I have learned quite a bit this week about technology, It doesn't always work in your favor.

What I have figured out about Feedly is that it is actually the coolest website I have ever come across on the internet. It is even better then last week when I used Wordle for the first time. Not going to lie Wordle was so the most exciting thing I had come across on the internet in a long time I told 10+ people about it! But Feedly topped it. Knowing that information can come to me, with the click of a button...  wow... speechless. Where has this website been in the last four years of my university career? While setting up Feedly, I used the journal article A Quick Start Guide for Educators to help me understand what I was doing. One of the major things that I always consider when setting up an account with a website, is to put to use my digital literacy and make sure that it is safe. I did this by exploring Feedly's preferences, knowledge base and read up on the feedback from other Feedly users. This way I can research the site and make sure it is going to be a safe environment to work in. Another really important aspect I learned about an RSS feed reader is that you do not want to add to many sites so that it is information overflow. I took a lot of time reading peoples blogs and adding those that were most interesting and valuable.

Darrow Steffes Design, (CC) 2010
The most valuable item of interest that I found on Feedly this week, since I ran into so many problems, was the knowledge base section. It had answers to many of my questions, such as how to mark articles as read, how to subscribe you tube channels, how to search for articles etc. An important part about this course is using the internet to your benefit. I could have emailed my T.A every time I had an issue with setting up my Feedly, however, I did not. I used the resources on the tips of my fingers and discovered on my own. I empowered my own learning strategies and created a work environment for myself. Not only did I learn how to subscribe to youtube channels or to search for articles on Feedly, I learned that I am responsible and capable of leading my own learning skills. I am able to teach myself how to use the web to my benefit and explore my knowledge and understanding without someones help. Education today is moving from a teacher driven cycle to a student-centered approach and this is a great step for someone who has been in the teacher driven cycle their entire life. I have proven to myself that it is possible to learn without being told what to do.


Wong, J. (CC) 2014

Final Comment:

This is another item of interest that I found fun and enjoyable to read which adds to my humorous side not so much my education side:
http://pintester.com/
It is about a lady who tries pins from Pintrest. You should read it, it is actually quite enjoyable.

Thanks for reading!
MissEmilyp














No comments:

Post a Comment