Friday 12 September 2014

Digital citizenship and Netiquette

Hello,
I hope everyone is having a good week! My week has been jammed packed and it has been hard for me to find time to write my blog post. However, I am now at work and no one is here, so I have found some time to intrigue you with my post on digital citizenship and netiquette.

What did I learn this week? Well that's a great question for you to ask! The most interesting thing I learned from our week 1 session is the digital dossier video. I am not going to lie I watched the video 3 times before I believed it. For those of you who do not know what a digital dossier is, it is the accumulation of all the digital tracks you leave behind on the internet and it begins before you are born and even continues to grow when you have past away. It is the tracking of your digital footprint threw the web when you have shared a picture or added a tweet or even a comment on someones post. It is what I would call your tracking device, that anyone in the world can see by Googling you..... pardon? It is amazing to me how technology can track you and exploit you in many ways (not always in bad ways).

Since I have a digital dossier, in which I can be tracked by not only mother, but the entire world, I have to have respectable netiquette when representing myself on the web. The text ,  'Core rules of Netiquette'   helped me to understand the rules and etiquette of the web and realize that I want to be seen as a I am seen in the physical world. Therefore, reading the article on 'Core rules of Netiquette'  as well as seeing examples of what blogs with proper netiquette look like on the web really showed me how to represent myself in the digital world and how to create a positive digital footprint.

Here is a fun fact: Anything you type into Google is tracked and recorded, employers can Google your name and find 10 things about you with the click of a button BEFORE even meeting you.... I am mind boggled!!

Now, I have to be honest with you, when I did the digital drivers license, I got 100%. I felt good. I felt on top of the world. But then I stopped, and ask myself, wait, does this mean I know everything about digital citizenship? No, this means that I read the 9 elements of digital citizenship and remembered what I read for the test. That being said, I went back to the 9 elements of digital citizenship from the text 'Digital citizenship in schools' (2011) and found that I would really like to focus on a the area of digital communication. The world is full of new technology and University, this year especially, is introducing more hands on web 2.0 tools for communication with fellow classmates as well as with professors, therefore I think it will be important for me to focus my attention on digital communication.

That all being said, I think it is awesome that I am growing my digital foot print on the web 2.0. It is the generation of technology and it is important to get out in the world and meet new people and really grow a positive digital foot print. When I say positive I mean that I want to grow my digital foot print in a way that uses proper netiquette.  I would like to represent myself as a professional, I want to keep my digital footprint up to date and manage my social media (professional name, make appropriate posts, keep information private, etc..). How I hope to achieve this is through research during the course as well as from feed back of others, just like the text says "A good digital citizen seeks out feedback from others to evaluate their use of technology, and then makes personal adjustments based on this feedback (Ribble, 2011)."

Image by Peak Health and Wellness (2012)
Retrieved from
http://www.peak-hw.com/the-universe-is-talking-are-you-listening/

Thanks for reading!
Missemilyp

Resources:

Ribble, M. (2011). Digital citizenship in schools (2nd ed.). Eugene, Or.: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment