Friday 19 September 2014

Weekly Report and Reflection Post: Week #2 PLE's and PLN's


Hey everyone!
I hope you are all having a good week, cause mine has been better then the last. I think my struggle this semester is having to juggle 7 courses all at once and organizing when I will complete tasks for each course. It has been difficult but because of the time management skills I learned and ADED 1P31, I found a way to make things work. This week in ADED 1P32, we learned about creating our PLE's (Personal Learning Environments) and PLN's (Personal Learning Networks) in which we organize our digital tools and communication on the web 2.0.
 
As a future teacher, I have a responsibility to inform myself in PLE’s and PLN’s. I have a duty to be involved with the 21st century so I can help my students become familiar with the web 2.0 and make learning student-centered and student-driven. As described by the 'Net worked Student Video', I have a duty to offer guidance to students when they or stuck in the networking world, teach students how to properly communicate and follow netiquette rules when online, help them decide what information they find is awesome and valuable, and what information is not as awesome and valuable. The list goes on but the most important thing to realize is that this is the future of schooling, and the video did a good job at explaining this process.

Pedersen, E. CC(2014)
This week I was introduced to a new digital tool called Popplet, and it is a very neat program online, where you create your own diagrams and mind maps. So, with this program I created my PLE! 

While creating my PLE, I used Drexler’s categories as a template and, from there I added my own digital tools that I have used within each of theses categories. I found it difficult to categorize some tools because I didn’t know exactly where some of them fit under, but I think I came to a good conclusion! I wanted to keep in mind while making the PLE the criteria for a PLE introduced in the 'silent video' in the introduction. I had to make sure the tools I listed were supporting my personal learning environment and are systems that help me take control of and manage my own learning systems that surround me everyday. 

Here is something a learned about a PLE, it can help me organize my future. I am not normally one for planning a head and having a 5-10 year goal.... I like to take my time and just take things day-by-day cause you never know what will happen. However, If I were to plan right now what I will be doing in 5-10 years, I will be graduate from Teacher Collage and be a successful full time teacher in either Northern Ontario or in my home town. I plan to be out of debt and living with with my boyfriend in a house of our own far off in the country. These are realistic dreams, however the reality is there are things I need to do to accomplish these dreams and the PLE can help me with this. As described in Malan's PREZI, a PLE can be helpful in my academic learning because it can help me organize who I am, who I want to be,  how I will get there using academic sources and what I will do to support my journey. For example, in the future I mentioned I would like to get out of debt. In order to get ideas about what the quickest and fastest way to get out of debt is to socialize and collaborate with my peers through my PLN as well as practice my digital literacy and research on the topic using Google scholar or a search engine. 

In addition to creating my PLE and PLN, I also explored the world or world clouds using the tool Wordle on the web. It is a tool that allows you to create your own word cloud with a body of text that you input from your own work. Wordle will then generate a word cloud  with the most prominent and important words from the text you inputted. You can change the colour, font an how it is written (horizontally, vertically, half and half etc.) Here is the one I made! I created it with last weeks blog. As you can see, in last weeks blog a lot of the words I wrote about were digital citizenship, technology, netiquette, etc. I absolutely loved this program  and will use it in the future because it really makes your work a piece of art.

Pedersen, E. CC (2014)



Thank you for reading this weeks blog, I hope you enjoyed it!
MissEmilyp

No comments:

Post a Comment